User Pass
Home Sign Up Contact Log In
Forum > Goal Line Blitz > What the heck happened on this play
Page:
 
OklahomaWolf
offline
Link
 
https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062086&pbp_id=352920

The hell the safety get pump faked then pretty much tackle the receiver to get an interception.
 
Novus
offline
Link
 
Originally posted by OklahomaWolf
https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062086&pbp_id=352920

The hell the safety get pump faked then pretty much tackle the receiver to get an interception.


When the FS got pump-faked, his reaction was to run towards the receiver. Then the QB was stupid enough to attempt the throw anyway despite the fact that the TE was now LESS open than when he tried the pump fake. The FS jumped the route, got between the TE and the ball, and made the pick.

Pause the play and go frame-by-frame. At the moment the QB starts his throw, the FS is just slightly behind the TE. 7 ticks later, the FS is between the TE and the ball, and the TE is completely out of position to make the catch. And if you keep going frame by frame, you actually see the TE tackle the FS.

Clean interception, and a great play by the FS. And the QB needs more Vision.
 
TJ Spikes
offline
Link
 
^
Yep

The QB faked the FS into position. I'm going to say chalk it up to young dots.

That probably wasn't a great Pump Fake, probably a 1 on CEQ happened to fire. The throw velocity is pretty low, so the FS had plenty of time. Plus I'd be willing to bet the FS has Ball Hawk VA, because he was sitting back in zone. That's a pretty big boost.


 
slashxtreme
Lead Mod
offline
Link
 
Originally posted by TJ Spikes
^
Yep

The QB faked the FS into position. I'm going to say chalk it up to young dots.

That probably wasn't a great Pump Fake, probably a 1 on CEQ happened to fire. The throw velocity is pretty low, so the FS had plenty of time. Plus I'd be willing to bet the FS has Ball Hawk VA, because he was sitting back in zone. That's a pretty big boost.




40 jump at level 26 would be a massive waste
 
tobewon
offline
Link
 
Mostly, level 26 dots.
 
Tomcic
OC/DC Guru
offline
Link
 
Thanks for the thread title
https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062222&pbp_id=481575
 
TJ Spikes
offline
Link
 
I have no idea

https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062222&pbp_id=481375
https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062222&pbp_id=481434

...but when they're good, they hit "the back of the net"

DD was probably watching this one and said "F Tomcic"

 
Novus
offline
Link
 
Originally posted by Tomcic
Thanks for the thread title
https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062222&pbp_id=481575


Originally posted by TJ Spikes
I have no idea

https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062222&pbp_id=481375
https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062222&pbp_id=481434

...but when they're good, they hit "the back of the net"

DD was probably watching this one and said "F Tomcic"



Oh, cool, it's been awhile since I had to remind everyone that the field goal crossbars are not 3-D rendered graphics. They're basically just "painted" on the field. As such, if a kick goes through the back of the end zone but is too low for the FG to count, it will still LOOK like it's going over the crossbar, even though it actually went *under* the crossbar.

So, the most likely explanation is that the kick was just a smidge too low and went under the crossbar.

Now, it's pretty maddening that it's even possible for a Level 79 Kicker to come up juuuuuust short on a 21-yard FG, but that's most likely what happened.

Kinda wondering if maybe the kick was partially blocked? But shouldn't that show up in the text?
 
reddogrw
HOOD
offline
Link
 
Originally posted by Novus
Oh, cool, it's been awhile since I had to remind everyone that the field goal crossbars are not 3-D rendered graphics. They're basically just "painted" on the field. As such, if a kick goes through the back of the end zone but is too low for the FG to count, it will still LOOK like it's going over the crossbar, even though it actually went *under* the crossbar.

So, the most likely explanation is that the kick was just a smidge too low and went under the crossbar.

Now, it's pretty maddening that it's even possible for a Level 79 Kicker to come up juuuuuust short on a 21-yard FG, but that's most likely what happened.

Kinda wondering if maybe the kick was partially blocked? But shouldn't that show up in the text?


first missed FG at that distance ever for that kicker.....
 
Novus
offline
Link
 
Originally posted by reddogrw
first missed FG at that distance ever for that kicker.....


Keep in mind, even NFL kickers would occasionally miss extra-point attempts back before the NFL moved XP attempts further back. So, it should be rare -- but not impossible -- for a Level-79 kicker to miss that short of a kick. Remember, a 0.0001% chance of something happening is not the same as a 0% chance of something happening.

What's weird to me is not that he missed it... it's that he missed it short. But when the graphical replay shows the kick splitting the uprights while the text says it's a miss, the only possible explanation is that the kick was on-target but too low.

We may never see a Level 79 kicker come up short on a 21-yard FG ever again. But rare and impossible are two different things. Sometimes rare happens.
Edited by Novus on Jul 25, 2021 21:31:58
 
Novus
offline
Link
 
It occurred to me that I should watch this FG play frame-by-frame, and then compare it to an XP attempt the same kicker made earlier in the game and watch it frame-by-frame too.

Let's watch one that he made first:

https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062222&pbp_id=481328

Pause it at the beginning, and then advance it frame by frame. The ball goes "over" the crossbar and continues to spin end-over-end like it's still flying through the air. Then the play continues for three more frames as the ball moves pass the crossbar to the back of the painted area behind the end zone. That's when the ball's spinning animation stops and the ball gets smaller, showing that it's hit the ground behind the end zone.

Now, compare it to the missed FG play at the end:

https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062222&pbp_id=481575

Again, pause it at the beginning, and then advance it frame by frame. The ball goes through the end zone with the end-over-end animation, but when it gets to the back of the end zone, the ball's spinning animation stops and the ball gets smaller, showing that it's hit the ground right at the back of the end zone.

So, the answer to the question of "What the heck happened on this play?" is "A Level-79 kicker came up short on a 21-yard FG attempt."

Maddening? Sure.

Frustrating? Absolutely.

Exceedingly rare? Yep. I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Impossible? Nope. Impossible and rare are not the same thing. And just because something's never happened before doesn't mean it can't ever happen. For example, nobody had ever blown a 3-0 lead in a best-of-seven series... until the Yankees blew a 3-0 series lead against the Red Sox in 2005. A 1-seed had never lost to a 16-seed in March Madness... until 1-seed Virginia lost to a 16-seed in 2018.
 
Gambler75
offline
Link
 
https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062215&pbp_id=422646
We had a proper block in our previous game.

Not sure what happened vs Miami, but I can only assume partial block? That or it was a natural 1 rolled. On a 1000 sided die.
 
Theo Wizzago
Coyote
online
Link
 
In golf we call that a wiff.
 
OklahomaWolf
offline
Link
 
Originally posted by Gambler75
https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062215&pbp_id=422646
We had a proper block in our previous game.

Not sure what happened vs Miami, but I can only assume partial block? That or it was a natural 1 rolled. On a 1000 sided die.


At least 3 guys was blocking
 
Tomcic
OC/DC Guru
offline
Link
 
Originally posted by OklahomaWolf
At least 3 guys was blocking


https://glb.warriorgeneral.com/game/replay.pl?game_id=3062252&pbp_id=745085

 
Page:
 


You are not logged in. Please login if you want to post a reply.